Sewing Tutorial – Coin Purse
Sew up this gorgeous little coin purse, a great project for using up fabric scraps!
Would you like to learn how to sew up a cute little coin purse. They are perfect for your change and also work really well for keeping in a drawer for little bits like clips and hair bobbles. They make a fantastic stocking filler or last minute gift for a kids party, just add a little handmade bead bracelet, or hair clips inside and voila, the perfect little girls gift.
This project is easy to sew up and the great thing is that if you’ve never tried a zip before you’ll be able to learn without worrying about wasting fabric. This little purse can be made from just a few fabric scraps and once you have the pattern mastered you can upsize it to make pencil cases, make up bags and more. A brilliant beginner sewing project!
-One fat quarter of quilt weight cotton fabric for exterior fabric
-One fat quarter of quilt weight cotton fabric for interior fabric
-10×12” rectangle of fusible interfacing
-¼” Steam-a-Seam tape
-Cut 2 rectangles 5” x 6” exterior fabric
-Cut 2 rectangles 5” x 6” woven fusible interfacing
-Cut 2 rectangles 5” x 6” interior
-Cut 2 rectangles 4” x 5” fusible fleece
-Cut 1 rectangle 4.5” x 11.75” for card slots
How to Make
1. On the back of the card slot piece, carefully iron Steam a seam tape around all four outside edges. Peel Tape cover off and iron the sides down. (See Pic A.)
2. Mark the card slot piece from one short side in the following way: 2.5”, 1.75”, 2.25”, 1.75”, 2.5”
3. Carefully fold and press the accordion pleats you marked. Centre entire folded card slot piece onto the middle of an interior piece, and sew carefully all the way around.
4. Lay zipper face down along top of one exterior piece. Baste in place.
5. Lay interior piece face down on top of zipper, matching up top edges. Sew along entire top edge. Press exterior and interior away from zip.
6. Repeat with the other side by laying zipper face on top of exterior piece, then baste along the top. Lay interior piece RSD on top, lining up top edges. Stitch all the way along. Press away from zipper.
7. Topstitch along both sides of the zipper.
8. Lay interior piece RST with the other interior piece. Lay exterior piece RST with other exterior piece, sandwiching the zipper in between. Make sure your zipper is UNZIPPED!! Leaving a space in the interior bottom for pulling though, sew around all four edges. Clip corners and press seams open.
9. Pull exterior through the gap. Sew gap shut with matching thread and press everything well.
And Voila – a cute little coin purse that’s perfect gift or stocking filler for a little girl – or just for your change in your handbag. See all of our Handmade Bag Tutorials too!
Cotton + Steel quilt weight cotton fabric – www.thevillagehaberdashery.co.uk